What is Gravida and Para?
GTPAL is a system often used in OBGYN service and pediatrics to describe pregnant women. You will often see notation such as G2P2 to describe a woman who has had 2 pregnancies and both of which have lasted for over 20 weeks (need to look at TPAL (described below) to determine whether they are living, preterm or aborted).
- Describes a pregnant woman
- The number after 'G' shows the number of total confirmed pregnancies
- A woman who has had 1 abortion and 1 live birth and 1 miscarriage is a G3.
- A term used to describe a woman who has had a single pregnancy.
- Twins and triplets count as 1 gravida
- Para - Can be broken into TPAL
- Refers to the total number of pregnancies that a woman has carried past 20 weeks of pregnancy
- Both live births, pregnancy losses, as long as these last at least 20 weeks.
- A term used to describe a woman who has had 1 delivery after at least 20 weeks
- A term used to describe a woman who has had 2 or more deliveries lasting at least 20 weeks
- A woman who has never given birth. This also includes women who have had abortions/micarriages before 20 weeks.
- T - number of term pregnancies (37 weeks or more)
- P - number of preterm pregnancies (20 to 37 weeks)
- A - number of abortions, miscarriages, ectopics past 20 weeks= failed pregnancies after 20 weeks
- L - number of living children currently
All information provided on this website is for educational purposes and does not constitute any medical advice. Please speak to you doctor before changing your diet, activity or medications.